My top 5 favourite holiday destinations

I'm thrilled to introduce this post by the fabulous Emma of Wanderlust and Wetwipes as she reveals her top 5 holiday destinations. If you're looking for some holiday inspiration this year then look no further... 


My top 5 favourite holiday destinations

It stands to reason that a travel blogger would be a travel addict I guess. The more surprising thing is that it took me so long to find my calling!

We are very lucky that we live in a place that gives us such easy access to so many places. The Middle East as a region is an incredible place to explore. It’s more or less half way to South East Asia from the UK which makes those thrips so much more achievable with small kids. And it is also perfectly situated with easy access to Europe!  What more could a travel blogger ask for?!

Needless to say we have spent the last 3 years travelling as much as we possibly could! Here are the 5 places that have really stuck with us the most:

Bali
Indonesia has been one of my favourite places to go for a long time. It holds very special memories for us as it was one of the first places my husband and I went together. It was certainly the first big holiday we had taken together and it cemented our relationship with a deep rooted love of travel. We spent all our next holidays trying to recreate the magic from that trip!

We took our kids back there a couple of years ago and I must admit I was excited and worried at the same time. I had heard it had changed considerably in the 10 years that had passed since we had been there. Not only that but we had changed too! We were older (and maybe a tiny bit wiser!) and we now had 2 kids in tow. I needn’t have worried. Bali is such a family friendly destination. I love how there are so many family friendly activities - from surfing to exploring temples teeming with monkey to waterparks to eating lunch in a volcano… it was awesome!

Bali was also the holiday that inspired my family travel blog so will always hold a special place in my heart!


Italy
I’m not sure I’ve met anyone who doesn’t love Italy. We’ve been lucky to have already been to 5 different places around the country so I feel like we are brilliantly placed to recommend it!

There is so much for everyone: if you want a city break there are almost too many beautiful towns and cities to choose from. Each one is full of history and beautiful architecture at every turn.

If you’re not a summer heat type of person I would highly recommend the lakes in the North of the country. We went to Lake Como and I can’t recommend it enough!

The stunning scenery, coastline and cuisine of the Amalfi coast and Sicily are also really good reasons to go and explore them.


Jordan
Jordan is on many people’s bucket lists but it was never on mine. But oh man it should have been! I always though Jordan was only Petra and the Dead Sea but my word it is so much more than that!

For starters the words “just” and “Petra” don’t belong in the same sentence together… Ever! It’s an awe inspiring landscape of craggy rocks with amazing evidence of Nabatean and Roman inhabitation. The Dead Sea, too, was one of the most fun places we have been.

Add to that: going to the place where Moses was shown the Promised Land; seeing decades old mosaic art; crusader castles; touring incredibly preserved Roman ruins; camping in Lawrence of Arabia’s desert and hanging out by the Red Sea… I can’t think of a good reason not to go to Jordan!


Any winter snow destination
No top 5 for me could ever not include a ski trip destination. While it’s a bit of a cop out not to choose a single place to include in my top 5 list, I honestly think the place is almost irrelevant. With carefully chosen resorts to match ski levels and the right people around you then it doesn’t matter where you are.

We have enjoyed trips to the French Alps, the Swiss Alps, the Colorado Rockies and the Canadian West Coast Ranges. All of them have been amazing for different reasons and I would totally go back to any in a heartbeat.

For us we love the opportunity to do something that is so completely different to our day to day lives. I love spending the whole day outside and taking so much exercise. There’s something really invigorating about mountain air that you can’t get anywhere else. And now that we have the kids with us I am really enjoying sharing our passion for skiing with them.


UK
My final favourite has to be the place where we are from. I think it is all too easy, especially as a travel blogger who lives abroad, to overlook this as a bona fide destination. But the reality is that the UK has so so much to offer.

I love exploring historical cities, the coastline is arguably some of the most beautiful in the world and the countryside and mountains are stunning. The food (admittedly mostly adopted) caters for all budgets and palates and the infrastructure for getting around make within country travel pretty straightforward.

You just can’t go wrong!


Where’s your favourite place to visit?

About Emma
Emma's a pushing 40, travel-mad mum to 2 young kids (aged 6 and 4) and a crazy dog. Originally from the UK she's lived in 10 cities across 5 continents all over the world. She currently lives in Doha, Qatar. Emma started blogging about her family travels in 2017 when she had an epiphany about how to have successful adventurous family holidays.

You can follow Emma at:

1 comment

  1. Visiting to Italy
    Best weather with reasonable crowds: April to May and September to October
    Major tourist cities in Italy are quite crowded over the year but main high tourist season starts from June through end of August. During those months the weather are quite warm. So the real ideal time to visit is in April to May and September to October. During these 4 moths hotel reservations you can avail on short notice in most cities and the rates of hotels all over Italy a bit lower.

    ReplyDelete